Practical researchIKT, as a research institution, investigates practical issues concerning the performance of underground infrastructure. Its client group consists primarily of operators of Surface water and foul sewer networks as well as water and gas supply networks.
The network operators define the topics for IKT’s research and monitor, and support the research through regular steering committee meetings. IKT develops project concepts, performs laboratory and in-situ tests, and prepares the written research reports.
The topics include a diverse range of technical, quality, procedural and organisational issues covering the construction, operation and refurbishing of networks.
1:1 scale researchThe testing and experimental technology available is an outstanding feature of the research undertaken at IKT. Site conditions can be simulated on a 1:1 scale under replicable soil, groundwater and traffic load conditions.
IKT’s research primarily serves the purpose of solving network operators’ needs. IKT maintains continuous contact with network operators, in order to keep up to date with the problems they face and unanswered questions.
Network-operator steering committees monitor and support all IKT research projects. Steering committee members select the products to be assessed, specify the boundary conditions for the tests, and are informed at first hand on the latest results and developments at regular intervals.
The first step in any research project is a detailed analysis of the problem. Practically orientated solutions are then drafted and tested at pilot sites. The findings and recommendations can be incorporated into operational procedures and/or actioned by the network operators.
- Sewer operation
- Sewer cleaning
- Site drainage
- Sewer refurbishing
- Waste-water pressure pipelines
- Waste-water manholes
- Sewer and pipeline engineering
- Pipe jacking
- Root intrusion
- HDD wash drilling
- Water-drainage systems
- Asset Management
- Broadband infrastructure
IKT as a research service-providerIKT also offers researchers from other institutions facilities for conducting their own Research & Development projects:
- Provision of test and experimental facilities, including personnel, for simulation of soil/component/groundwater systems at a 1:1 scale
- Support for content and/or experiment-based examination of issues arising from their research.
- Finding of pilot sites from system operators (for the practical implementation of research results, for example, or for the testing of the suitability of products and methods) in practice
- Distribution of results to practically relevant target groups by means, for example, of events and publications
T: +49 (0) 209 17806-18
Gallery IKT’s research