Rainwater treatment: IKT can now also test systems according to a US regulation
The “New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) Laboratory Protocol to Assess Total Suspended Solids Removal by a Hydrodynamic Sedimentation Manufactured Treatment Device (MTD)” is a common test procedure in the US for determining the degree of retention of water in decentralised stormwater treatment systems. It is a prerequisite for the approval of treatment facilities in the State of New Jersey.
Testing in accordance with NJDEP protocolThe system was tested for sediment removal efficiency in accordance with Section 5 of the NJDEP protocol, using a test sediment mixed according to the requirements of the protocol. The following parameters and performance data were obtained for the Hydroshark during the seven test runs that are required:
- Maximum Treatment Flow Rate (MTFR): 1.60 cfs (45 L/s)
- Total Suspended Solids (TSS) removal efficiency: > 50 % at MTFR
- Effective treatment area (ETA): 18.94 ft² (equivalent to 1.76 m²)
- Volume: 924 gal (equivalent to 3,498 litres)
- Effective Sedimentation Area (ESA): 8.45 ft² (equivalent to 0.79 m²)
- Volume of sludge chamber: 233 gal (equivalent to 882 litres)
Testing according to Trennerlass NRWA few months before the NJDEP test, the IKT Test Centre for Rainwater Treatment determined the hydraulic capacity and the material retention capacity of the Hydroshark DN1500 stormwater treatment plant in accordance with the Trennerlass NRW:
- Hydraulic capacity: > 50 l/s
- Retention of fine-grained, filterable mineral substances: 72.55 % retention
- Retention of coarse-grained, filterable mineral substances: > 99.00 % retention
- Retention of floating polyethylene: 62.24 % retention
- Retention of suspended solids from polystyrene: 75.41 % retention
- Retention of mineral oil hydrocarbons: 66.59 % retention
Recognised testing laboratory
The IKT Test Centre for Rainwater Treatment is recognised by the German Institute for Construction Technology (DIBt) and offers a range of tests for treatment plants and surface coverings.
- Decentralised stormwater treatment plants for discharge into groundwater
- Decentralised stormwater treatment plants for discharge into surface waters
- Infiltration-capable surface coverings
Would you like more information or do you have any questions? Please do not hesitate to contact us!
Senior Research Fellow, IKT
T: +44 (0) 1491 712707
M: +44 (0) 7983 605219
Marcel Goerke, M.Sc.
Head of the IKT Test Centre for Rainwater Treatment
T: +49 (0) 209 17806-34